The Government of India provides a child education allowance that will promote the schooling and education of children. And there are some child education allowance rules.
All the employees working under the Government of India will be able to avail of this allowance for their children.
So, in this article below, we are going to provide details about the child education allowance and its rules.
What Is Child Education Allowance?
Table of Contents
The Child Education Allowance has been implemented since 1 July 2017. Under this allowance, government employees will be helped with the monthly expenses required to teach their children.
The government will bear the school fees, uniforms, books, copies, and other expenses of the children of these employees.
In India Government employees are paid for the educational expenditures (school and hostel) of their kids from the Children Education Allowance (CEA).
There are poles apart from child education allowance rules, allowances, updates, and components for the educational allowances. Today let’s talk about the Child Education Allowance Rules below
Presently, Children’s Education Allowance (CEA) is paid to up to class 12 students. There are demands to lengthen this to the Graduate students and to the Post Graduate scholars too.
However, this isn’t seemed to be possible to be acknowledged as the studies vary significantly at the level of graduation and post-graduation.
Every Government employee can have the benefit of Child Education Allowance (CEA) for their child’s education expenses.
The Child Education Allowance (CEA) was initiated on 1st July 2017. Under this scheme, the government employees will get monthly education expenses for their child’s education.
Children’s Education Allowance Rules at a Glance
|No. of children
|Maximum -02 children (Not for 3rd, even one child has cleared class XII)
|Annual ceiling per child
|INR 15,000/- per child
|Nursery to XII
|When the employee is obliged to keep his children, because of transfer to a hostel of residential school, away from his place of posting and the children get admission in a hostel, a hostel subsidy will be admissible from the date of transfer of an employee.
1) Tuition fee, Admission Fee, Laboratory Fee
2) A special fee is charged for Agriculture, Electronics, Music, or any other subject
3) The fee charged for practical work under the program of work experience
4) Fee for any aid or appliance by the child,
5) Library Fee, Games/Sports Fee and
6) Fee for extracurricular activities.
1) One set of textbooks and notebooks
2) Two sets of uniforms
3) One set of School shoes
|Children with Disabilities
|For children with disabilities, reimbursement will be at double the normal rates and the annual ceiling will be INR 30,000/-
|No. of claims in a year
|Reimbursement can be claimed once every quarter
|When both husband and wife are central government servants
|Only one of them is eligible for the concession.
|Reimbursement payment terms & conditions
|Reimbursement should be made on the submission of original receipts based on self-certification by the employee.
Who Can Get Child Education Allowance (CEA)?
This Child Education Allowance (CEA) is for all the employees’ children who work under the government. From group D Clark to Group A officers every employee’s children can have this facility.
Rules Of Child Education Allowance for Reimbursement:
Under this Child Education Allowance (CEA) the schooling, school fees, and uniform expenses all are paid by the Indian Government to its employee’s children.
By OM No. 12011/03/2008-Estt (AL) dated 2.9.2008, a child’s tuition, admission fee, lab fee, special fee for music, electronics, agriculture, or other subjects, practical work, charges for the use of any service or appliances by the child, library fee, games/sports fee, and fee for extracurricular activities are all refundable, but only under the condition that the charges mentioned are assessed by the school directly from the student.
Additionally, a child is eligible for reimbursement for the cost of one set of textbooks and notebooks, two sets of uniforms required by the school where they are enrolled, and one pair of shoes for each academic year. Regardless of color, season, or PT uniforms, all clothing items designated by the school as required for a given day are considered to be part of the uniform.
Let’s know in detail about the Child Education Allowance Rules from reimbursement below:
1) This Child Education Allowance Rules for reimbursement shows that only the first two children of a government employee will get the facility from the Government. However, in case the younger child is a twin then the 3rd child will also get the child’s education allowance facilities.
2) Once the government employee already pays the school fees, only then he or she can claim the Child Education Allowance (CEA).
3) Under the Child Education Allowance Rules/CEA allowance, it has been said the child must be a student of an affiliated school. It means that the school must be registered by either the Central government or the state government.
4) If both the parents are government employees then only one parent can claim this CEA and he or she also has to provide a certificate assuring that he or she is not getting the Child Education Allowance (CEA) facility from anywhere else.
5) The Child Education Allowance will pay education-related base expenses that are charged by the school such as tuition fees, admission fees, electronics, music, laboratory, sports and so many more.
6) This Child Education allowance reimbursement rules are for primary to higher secondary studies. There are demands to lengthen this to the Graduate students and to the Post Graduate scholars too. However, this isn’t seemed to be possible to be acknowledged as the studies vary significantly at the level of graduation and post-graduation.
7) As per the Child Education Allowance rules you can not claim for the pen, and pencil expenses. However, the expenses related to books, and copies will be paid by the government for its employee’s child’s education.
8) If the school claims special class fees then that will also be covered by the Child Education Allowance (CEA) for the government employee.
9) As per the Child Education Allowance Rules for reimbursement, private tuition or private courses will not be covered or can not be claimed for.
So, tuition fee reimbursement for central government employees/tuition fee reimbursement rules for central government employees is applicable in the CEA allowance.
Child Education Allowance Exemption Limit:
Here are the Child Education Allowance exemption limits provided below. Let’s check out the child education allowance exemption limit carefully:
1) This child education allowance is applicable for up to 12th-class students only.
2) A government employee can not claim both the hostel subsidy and child education allowance at the same time. At a time only one facility will be provided to the employee.
3) If a child fails in a class then he or she will still get the child education allowance facility in the next year. However, if the child gets admission to another school in the same class then he or she will not get the Child Education Allowance for that class.
Qualifications of the Institution or School
“The educational institution must be acknowledged by the federal, state, or university administrations, or by a recognized educational body with jurisdiction over the region in which it is located.
According to information provided by the government, “This also applies in respect of children studying in two classes previous to Class-I. i.e. nursery/LKG/UKG, etc., OM No. 12011/03/2008-Estt.(AL) dated 23.11.2009.”
Eligibility Criteria Of CEA
For children enrolled in nursery programs, there is no minimum age required for CEA reimbursement. However, the minimum age of Five (5) years is mandated for children with disabilities who are enrolled in non-formal or vocational education.
However, as of February 21, 2012, the 5-year-old minimum age requirement for children with disabilities is no longer in effect. Therefore, regardless of the child’s disability, there is no minimum age limit at which compensation may be requested.
Normal children can reach adulthood at the age of 20, but physically disabled or children with special needs can reach adulthood at the age of 22.
The O.M. No. 12011/07(ii)/2011-Estt.(AL) dated 21.02.2012 is the source of the information in question.
The Children’s Education Allowance is a tax exemption provided by the Indian government that exempts up to two children from paying taxes for educational purposes. The maximum age under this approach should be 20 years for a typical youngster.
A specific amount is tax-exempt under Section 10(14) of the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961, for the benefit of their children’s education. This allows nuclear families with up to two children to receive an INR 100 exemption per child.
Furthermore, there is an additional exemption of Rs. 300 per kid, up to a maximum of 2 children, if the child attends a boarding school.
While the previous one is recognized as the CEA or Children Education Allowance, this provision is also found in the same article of the Income Tax Act and is termed the Hostel Expenditure Allowance (CEA).
However, in 2008, additional allowances were provided, particularly for those who work for the government. These people qualify for specific reimbursements depending on the costs associated with raising their children, etc.
Q. Who is eligible for a children’s education allowance?
A. Presently, Children’s Education Allowance (CEA) is paid to up to class 12 students. There are demands to lengthen this to the Graduate students and to the Post Graduate scholars too.
Q. What is the CEA allowance?
A. Child Education Allowance (CEA) is for all the employees’ children who work under the government. From group D Clark to Group A officers every employee’s children can have this facility.
Q. Can CEA and hostel subsidies be claimed concurrently?
A. Under this Child Education Allowance (CEA) the schooling, school fees, and uniform expenses all are paid by the Indian Government to its employee’s children.
Q. Can the Parent claim a child’s tuition?
A. The Child Education Allowance will pay education-related base expenses that are charged by the school such as tuition fees, admission fees, electronics, music, laboratory, sports and so many more.
Q. Is the reimbursement on Children’s Educational Allowance for a third child permissible if it has not been claimed for 1st and 2nd child?
A. CEA will be allowable only for the two eldest surviving children as well as CEA for the 3rd child will only be allowable in case there is an event of multiple births at the time of 2nd childbirth.
Additionally, compensation of Child Education Allowance for the 3rd child is allowable if failure of the sterilization operation is.
Q. Can CEA be claimed for a child for the same class twice?
A. YES, CEA can be claimed for a child for the same class twice
Check Related Article:-
- Child Education Plan: Know Which Is The Best Deal
- Know The Details About LIC Child Career Plan
- Get Every Little LIC Kanyadan Policy Details Here
- What Is Intensified Mission Indradhanush & How Does It Works?
- SBI Life Smart Scholar To Give Your Child’s Dream Wings
- Know More About The Child Life Insurance Plans In India
- Child Education Plan: Know Which Is The Best Deal
- Details Of Children’s Education Allowance Exemption
- All Details Of LIC Children’s Money Back Plan